Surgery / Transplant
Surgically remove tumor only if it is small and caught early followed by radiation or chemotherapy. Only 10-20% of tumors can be removed. Transplant with a new liver from a donor requires lifetime medication with side effects of bone loss, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and Diabetes. 5 yr. survival rate is approximately 72%
- The medical use of ionizing radiation.
- Side effects include fatigue, vomiting, nausea, hair loss and skin irritation.
- Chemical compounds used to destroy cancer cells, also kills many normal cells.
- Only used in post-surgery patients.
- Used as palliative treatment in liver cancer patients.
Targeted Drug Therapy
- Nexavar - Targets new blood vessel formation to prevent tumorigenesis
- Used for patients who have tumors that cannot be surgically removed.
- Side effects similar to radiation therapy.
- Extends life by approx. 3 months in only 53% of patients tested.